What exactly is Affiliates Marketing?
Affiliate marketing is a marketing practice in which a business pays one or more affiliates for each visitor or customer brought about by the affiliates own marketing efforts. As an affiliate, you can promote other people’s product and get commissions for your efforts without seeing a single customer or talking to anyone.
An affiliate program is put in place by the owner of a product. This could be an eBook, video series or a line of products.
You have probably heard of Clickbank and Amazon, you may have even purchased products there yourself. Well these are large businesses that have put an affiliate program in place.
What this means is that they encourage people to sign up as an affiliate. Then you go out and promote these products. When you get sales the company will pay you a percentage of the money. This could be as little as 5% or as high as 75% or more. Basically you are a sales person working on a commission basis.
This is a very simple concept which is why affiliate marketing holds such an appeal to individuals wanting to make money online.
But of course there is a learning curve that needs to be done.
One of the first things you want to think about when getting started with affiliate marketing is your reputation! You are going to be recommending products to other people. If you recommend crap then people are not going to come back and visit your other suggestions.
You really need to choose your products wisely. Take the time to research the products and the reputation behind the supplier. Don’t worry you are not going to have to start purchasing all kinds of products. You can read reviews and testimonials and come to your own conclusions.
The Affiliate Marketing basics steps that you are going to go through include:
• Setting up your own website – not required but recommended for best results.
Do not lump all of it together just to save some money on web hosting. It is best to have a site focusing on each and every product and nothing more.
• Choosing affiliate companies to promote –
There are many bad stories about affiliate programs and networks. People have heard them over and over again, that some are even wary of joining one. The stories they may have heard are those related to illegal programs or pyramid schemes. Basically, this kind of market does not have real, worthy product.
You do not want to be associated with these schemes. It is obvious you want to be with a program that offers high quality product that you will readily endorse. The growing number of those who have joined already and are succeeding immensely is proof enough that there are reliable and quality affiliate programs out there. Watch out on my next article on Tips on selecting a good affiliates program to promote.
• Choosing a niche: To be effective as an affiliate marketer, you need to focus on a particular niche or at most two. This should be area you are passionate about or the ones you could easily do research on. This becomes necessary when doing review or have to answer questions about products you are promoting. Most Sellers usually provide informational materials about their product. Make sure such materials are available for the particular niches.
• Narrowing down your selection of products: Also, it is important to do keyword research to see which products in a particular niches are in demand. Promote what is already being sought for out there.
• Promoting your products: In Affiliates networks, you could also register to promote your own product and offer it to other affiliates to promote. This is where you get a bigger part of the pie, and be ready to offer good commission to affiliates promoting your products.
• Using keywords to promote your product: As mentioned before, use keyword planner to get trending tags you can use to promote products.
• Writing product reviews: Always include product reviews on the website so visitors will have an initial understanding on what the product can do to those who buys them. Also include testimonials from users who have already tried the product. Be sure that these customers are more than willing to allow you to use their names and photos on the site of the specific product you are marketing.
• Driving traffic to your site: Without traffic, nobody will see the offer. So drive targeted traffic to your products and offers. Just think, if the person who visited your website has no interest whatsoever in what you are offering, they will be among those who move on and never come back.
Only two things can possibly happen with the web page alone: closed sale or the prospect leaving the page and never return again. By placing useful information into their inboxes at certain specified period, you will remind them of the product they thought they want later and will find out that the sale is closed. Be sure that the content is directed toward specific reasons to buy the product. Do not make it sound like a sales pitch.
Focus on important points like how your product can make life and things easier and more enjoyable.
• Creating a subscriber list: You might have heard the saying “the money is in the list“. This is very true because those people on the list are potential buyers or returning customers. It is a known fact that people do not make a purchase on the first solicitation. You may want to send out your message more than six times to make a sale. This is the simple reason why you should collect the contact information of those who downloaded your reports and E-Books. You can make follow-ups on these contacts to remind them to make a purchase from you. Get the contact information of a prospect before sending them to the vendor’s website. Keep in mind that you are providing free advertisement for the product owners. You get paid only when you make a sale. If you send prospects directly to the vendors, chances are they would be lost to you forever.
But when you get their names, you can always send other marketing messages to them to be able to earn an ongoing commission instead of a one-time sale only. Publish an online newsletter or E-zine. It is always best to recommend a product to someone you know than to sell to a stranger. This is the purpose behind publishing your own newsletter. This also allows you to develop a relationship based on trust with your subscribers.
• Getting Paid: As an affiliate marketer your main objective is to drum up traffic to your affiliate links. Your link takes the prospective buyer straight to a sales page where the company takes over. From here it is up to their sales copy to sell the buyer and make them click on the Buy Now button.
Your goal is to send targeted buyers to these sales pages as then your conversions will be higher. This equals more money in your bank account.
In future article, I would show in details how to get started in top affiliates networks. Subscribe to get notified of new posts and do let me know your thoughts on affiliate marketing and your experience with any network.